Monday, March 14, 2011

The toaster

Let me preface this first post by saying that my husband and I have made great efforts to support made in USA merchandise since about 2003.
One Christmas all the gifts we bought each other (and yes, we came up with several) were made in the US.
We've had our toaster for a few years. It was a hurried replacement for one that broke, and we did check the labels in the store and there were none made in USA, so we bought this cheap white toaster.
Recently the toaster has started acting flaky, which led me to search for a toaster made in the USA. Barring that, perhaps one made in Italy or something like that.
So far I have struck out, but I did run across an interesting thread on a forum where someone mentioned a guy who restores vintage toasters.
"Why not buy a vintage toaster," I thought? I could have a made in USA toaster with great style, would be reusing an existing item and wouldn't be creating any demand for another made in China toaster that would last a couple of years.
When I brought it up to my husband, he mentioned his grandma's Toastmaster toaster that lowered the toast automatically, and got excited about the prospect of owning one.
So, the quest is on. I did bid on one on eBay and got outbid, but I am on the hunt now, and know we will soon have one of these beauties on our kitchen counter.

No comments:

Post a Comment