Wednesday, April 6, 2011

I want to ride my bicycle

We went to our local bike shop over the weekend to drop my bicycle off for a spring tune-up.
While browsing in the shop I noticed this Genuine Innovations CO2 tire inflator with a made in USA emblem at the bottom corner of the package. Next time we need one I know which one we will buy.
We went down to the basement to scope out the bikes and ran across a Worksman bike, also made in USA, marked by a flag sticker on the bar several inches down from the seat.
I remember finding out about Worksman bikes when I first started researching made in USA products. Worksman has been manufacturing bikes in the United States for more than 110 years. From their web site:
"Back in 1898, in the back of a retail store in lower Manhattan, Morris Worksman started to develop specialty bicycles and tricycles that would be useful for local merchants to use. He saw a need for conveyances that could take the place of the horse and buggy."
And in case you were wondering, they do make other styles than the three-wheeled model.
In the 10 years we've been seeking out American-made products, we've seen the number of such bikes in stores drop dramatically. It's good to see one company still carrying on.

No comments:

Post a Comment